Next Chat Event

Could 'Oumuamua be an extraterrestrial solar sail?

Go down

Could 'Oumuamua be an extraterrestrial solar sail?

Post by Dragon on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:43 pm

On October 19th, 2017, the Panoramic Survey Telescope and Rapid Response System-1 (Pan-STARRS-1) in Hawaii announced the first-ever detection of an interstellar asteroid, named 1I/2017 U1 (aka, "Oumuamua). In the months that followed, multiple follow-up observations were conducted that allowed astronomers to get a better idea of its size and shape, while also revealing that it had the characteristics of both a comet and an asteroid.

Interestingly enough, there has also been some speculation that based on its shape, 'Oumuamua might actually be an interstellar spacecraft (Breakthrough Listen even monitored it for signs of radio signals!). A new study by a pair of astronomers from the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) has taken it a step further, suggesting that 'Oumuamua may actually be a light sail of extra-terrestrial origin.

Source

Senior Administrator

Times User Thanked: : 89

Back to top Go down

Re: Could 'Oumuamua be an extraterrestrial solar sail?

Post by Dragon on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:45 pm

Credit: ESO/M. Kornmesser

Artist’s impression of the first interstellar asteroid/comet, “Oumuamua”. This unique object was discovered on 19 October 2017 by the Pan-STARRS 1 telescope in Hawaii.

Source / Image Courtesy

Senior Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:45 pm

Astronomers have found that ‘Oumuamua, the first interstellar object discovered in the Solar System, is moving away from the Sun faster than expected.

Using data from ESO’s Very Large Telescope, and from NASA/ESA’s Hubble Space Telescope, a team of researchers concluded that ‘Oumuamua is most likely outgassing — suggesting that this enigmatic interstellar nomad is a peculiar comet rather than an asteroid.

Senior Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cloud on Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:57 am

Seems more likely it is a comet but wouldn't that be amazing ? I suppose there's a first time for everything. Still very exciting finding cheers cheers In saying that though, there have been so so so many reports of cigar shaped UFO's. That was the first thing that came to mind when I read about this last year.

Thanks for sharing Dragon I love you I love you

Reader

Female Zodiac : Capricorn Posts : 2793
Times User Thanked: : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down